This is the first in a series of guides aimed at enabling Book Creator users to publish their books in the iBooks Store.
What you’ll need:
- An Apple ID
- A Mac running OS X v10.9 or higher
- A valid email account
- Digital rights to the book you want to publish
Before we get started, it’s worth saying that the advantage of using Book Creator for iPad to create your book is that you will own the digital rights to the book, plus all the formatting and technical requirements for publishing an ebook on the iBooks Store are taken care of for you.
Why publish to the iBooks Store?
For many authors, artists or businesses, publishing their creative works on the iBookstore is going to be part of their business model for making money. For schools, families or individuals, it is simply a way to share their books with the world for free. For this guide I shall be setting up an iTunes Connect account so I can ultimately publish my first book for free.
Setting up an account to sell your books is slightly different and involves bank account details and a tax ID. Apple have produced a really handy Frequently Asked Questions page for book publishers, so have a look on there if you’ve got any specific questions before you get started.
Setting up an iTunes Connect account
- Head over to www.apple.com/itunes/working-itunes/sell-content/books and check the requirements, then click on the ‘Get Started’ button.
- You’ll now have the option to create a Free Books Account or a Paid Books Account. I’m going for the free one. If you’re looking to sell your books on the iBookstore, read this post (and note: you cannot change from a Free Books account to a Paid Books account).
- Fill in your details. Make sure your first and last name match the name you gave when you created your Apple ID. You’ll also have to tick the consent box at the bottom of the page and then click done.
- Now more details – enter your contact information and email address. Plus you need to tick the box to say you’ve read the eBook Distribution Agreement (not that long, by Apple’s standards!).
- Apple then send you an activation email, which you’ll need to retrieve from your email provider and click the Activation link within the email.
- You’ve now created an iTunes Connect account! Sign into your account in future at https://itunesconnect.apple.com