July 2019 Newsletter
Latest Book Creator updates
The pen tool has been given a huge overhaul, bringing artificial intelligence to your illustrations.
AutoDraw comes to Book Creator
Here’s the thing. We introduced the pen tool to Book Creator waaaay back in 2013. It’s now 2019 and we all agreed it was time to give the feature an overhaul. But at Book Creator we always try and go that little bit further.
It would have been good enough to add some new pen styles, magic inks, a fill tool, emojis and the ability to edit drawings. (We did all that, in case you’re wondering).
But to really go above and beyond, we needed something… magical.
Using Book Creator in mathematics?
Enter Lance Key, a K-12 mathematics teacher, tech integrationist and Book Creator Ambassador. This book includes 13 math projects that you can use in your classroom, each one tied to the Common Core standards and spanning each grade level.
These projects can be easily modified to meet your teaching styles. Students can engage in any of the projects individually or collaboratively.
We're excited to announce that Jon Smith has joined the Book Creator team. With 19 years experience as a special education teacher and technology integration specialist, Jon will be on hand to help teachers and students make the most of Book Creator.
This month's webinars
Join Dr. Monica Burns for some hands-on learning. See our full summer programme.
- Collaboration with Book Creator (10 July)
- Social Studies and Book Creator: Project ideas (16 July)
- New Features! Must try-updates to Book Creator (22 July)
July Lesson spotlight
Have you seen our FREE ebooks full of lesson ideas for teachers? In our July lesson spotlight, we’ve shared one special lesson from each book for you to explore this month. Check out the Resources section of your Teacher Dashboard (on Chrome) for even more ideas!
Early Elementary (K-2)
To celebrate 🍦National Ice Cream Month, try out activity #2 in this book and have students write poems. Using a favorite flavor as an inspiration, students can create a collaborative book of poems.
Find it here: Using Book Creator in the Elementary classroom
Case study: Ice cream and iPad day
Upper Elementary (3-5)
🇨🇦 Canada Day is 1st July, and students can celebrate by retelling moments in Canadian history through comics. Use the tips in this book to help structure a project for students.
Find it here: 15 Social Studies Projects for Book Creator Classrooms
Middle School (6-8)
As part of an International Friendship Day celebration, students can interview friends from different countries to share about their experience. These interviews can include video or audio and be added straight to the page.
Find it here: Supporting Language Learners with Book Creator
Case study: Connecting students from Iceland and Chicago
High School (9-12)
Try out the Visual Anthropology activity in this book in conjunction with a celebration of Fourth of July. Students can capture stories from their community as they celebrate Independence Day.
Find it here: Book Creator for the High School classroom
Book Creator Ambassador spotlight
Each year you can find Alberto at a special conference at the university focused on technology and education.
.EDU brings educators together from around the world to share innovative ideas around education technology.
You can learn more about this special event and watch videos from presentations at past events on the .EDU website.
Connect with Alberto at @javaldez.
July Social Challenge
This month, we want to see you get creative with the pen tool!
The pen tool has been updated, and we want to see what you can come up with! To win a much coveted Book Creator mug, take a screenshot of your creation and post it to our Facebook Teacher group.
Make sure to add the hashtag #BCchallenge so we can see that you've entered.
Last month's winner was Abbey Thomas, who shared one of her student's ebooks via Instagram.
Get involved in the discussion on Facebook:
- How can I download a short video from the internet and place it on my book creator page? Charles Henry Barton
- How to do a contents page & link it to the pages in the book? Ali Bowness
- Google for Education launch a new Chromebook App Hub Book Creator team
- Sharing another day of maths activities logged in a Book Creator journal Tonista InvFri
- Does anyone know if you can copy a whole double page to another book, instead of copy and paste half a dozen sections? Marriane Mckenzie
- #BringCreativity newsletter June 2019
- AutoDraw comes to Book Creator!
- Creating sign language books in Book Creator
- Paper by FiftyThree and Book Creator
- How to get your students to plan the Book Creator lesson
- Teaching direct speech with Memes in Book Creator
- How the co-creator of Explain Everything uses Book Creator
- 15 Social Studies projects – free ebook
- Smashing Google and Book Creator
- #the262 – Book Creator marathon!
- Book Creator helps transform the therapy experience of families affected by disability
- Get Clever and add some Spark to your Book Creator books
Dan Kemp is Red Jumper’s Community Manager. He spends his time spreading the word about Book Creator and supporting people who use it.