December 2019 Newsletter
Latest Book Creator news
Book Creator competition for schools
Win 5 Chromebook tablets and other prizes
The deadline for our competition is approaching fast: 10th January 2020. With the holiday season approaching it may be worth finalising your entries and getting them in so you don't have to rush in the new year!
Write Our World: Bilingual ebooks by kids, for kids
It’s hard to believe that it’s nearly 5 years since we were first introduced to Julie Carey and her Write Our World project. Since then, the fledgling project has gone from strength to strength. We caught up with Julie recently to get an update and to provide an introduction for those who’ve yet to hear of their work.
Join Jon Smith for the last of this year's webinars. This is your chance to sit with Jon face-to-face, learn from a Book Creator master and ask him anything!
Click on the link to register.
You'll have a chance to meet Jon in person at the Impact Education conference in Minneapolis on 14-17 December. We're also looking ahead to FETC (Miami) and Bett (London) where you'll be able to meet more of the Book Creator team. Hope to see you there!
December Lesson spotlight
Have you seen our FREE ebooks full of lesson ideas for teachers? In our December lesson spotlight, we’ve shared one special lesson from each book for you to explore this month. Check out the Resources section of your Teacher Dashboard for even more ideas!
Early Elementary (K-2)
For a wintertime project, try activity #2 and have students use pictures of wintertime items to practice "adding by counting on". They can record their voice to explain their thinking, too!
Find it here: 13 Math Projects for Book Creator
Upper Elementary (3-5)
As your students commemorate Universal Human Rights Month, they can try out activity #3 in this book and have students create a timeline of an important event in the life of a human rights’ activist.
Find it here: 15 Social Studies Projects for Book Creator Classrooms
Middle School (6-8)
To celebrate National Letter Writing Day (7th Dec), have students participate in a Global Exchange with a spin on activity #4. Students can find a partner class to write digital letters to this month.
High School (9-12)
Have students use the Explain Everything tips (#10) to embed a tutorial that explains how to make a favorite cookie, right into a Book Creator collaborative book. Encourage students to film their own cookie creation and add it to their tutorial.
Find it here: The Ultimate Guide to Embedding Content in Book Creator
Book Creator Ambassador spotlight
Ijeoma Johnson, Instructional Technology Specialist, Newton County Schools
Anyone bold enough to step out rocking the Book Creator comic tshirt deserves to be featured. Ijeoma Johnson is a new Ambassador from the class of 2019, and we already love her enthusiasm!
Based in Covington, Georgia, Ijeoma was at the Georgia Educational Technology Conference last month sharing her love for Book Creator with other teachers.
She's also organises the annual Code Like A Girl conference in her district, where participants will be using Book Creator to create their 2020 Vision Boards.
You can follow Ijeoma on Twitter at @IjeomaJohnson2.
December Social Challenge
We'd love for you to win a special Book Creator mug!
Share something you’ve accomplished with Book Creator this year. Post your activity idea in our Facebook Teachers Group using the hashtag #BookCreatorChallenge so we can follow along and celebrate the books you create.
We'll choose one lucky winner at random. Good luck!
- PreK students worked on an emoji booklet reflecting on what makes them happy, sad, excited or angry. Sana Noor
- My pupils and I are really proud of this book we have made on Book Creator. We are selling it for just £1.49 on the iBooks store to raise money to adopt an orangutan through the WWF. Richard Hall
- Is there an option for books to open from right to left to accommodate the Arabic Language? Carolin Escobar
- Will each student be able to see each other’s book or can they be kept private and shared only on occasion? Mary Quinto
- Problems emailing a PDF from Book Creator - file too big Melanie Bruce
- #BringCreativity newsletter November 2019
- How to get your students to plan the Book Creator lesson
- Teaching direct speech with Memes in Book Creator
- Book Creator in the French classroom
- #the262 – Book Creator marathon!
- Putting publishing into the hands of students
- 15 Social Studies projects – free ebook
- Smashing Google and Book Creator
- Paper by FiftyThree and Book Creator
- Book Creator helps transform the therapy experience of families affected by disability
- Inspiring political engagement in the classroom
- Lesson plan for a flipped classroom with Book Creator
Dan Kemp is Red Jumper’s Community Manager. He spends his time spreading the word about Book Creator and supporting people who use it.