February 2020 Newsletter
Latest Book Creator news
230+ accessibility improvements added to Book Creator
We treat equality in education seriously, and these updates reflect our commitment to bring digital publishing to all students, regardless of ability.
You can now:
🎙 Dictate in 120 languages
📝 Add captions to audio and video
⌨︎ Navigate using your keyboard
➕ much more.
Create unlimited libraries
If you're on our premium Book Creator plan, up until now, you could create 10 libraries with 100 books in each. But now, we’re taking off the shackles and allowing you to create unlimited libraries with up to 200 in each library (up to your 1,000 book limit).
Use Book Creator on Microsoft Edge
Book Creator now works on Microsoft Edge (along with Chrome and Safari) so it can be used on even more devices! To celebrate, we're giving away lifetime upgrades for Book Creator to Microsoft Innovative Educator Experts (MIEEs).
Introducing the new features
Our webinars this month are dedicated to introducing these new features, so choose a time that suits you and join Jon Smith for 45 minutes of Book Creator goodness!
- Weds, 5th February, 3pm EST
- Weds, 12th February - 8pm EST
- Weds, 19th February - 5pm EST
- Weds, 26th February, 3pm EST
Our new School Partnerships Executive Catherine Cappiello will be at the TCEA Convention in Austin, Texas from 3rd - 7th February. She'll then be joining Jon Smith in Columbus, Ohio for OETC (find us at booth #1434) from 11th - 13th February.
At the end of the month you'll find Catherine at IDEAcon in Schaumburg, Illinois from 24th - 27th Feb. We'll be in booth #929.
Book Creator competition
The Book Creator competition is now closed and judging has begun!
We hope to announce the finalists soon with the winners to be decided by the end of the month. Stay tuned!
February Lesson spotlight
Have you seen our FREE ebooks full of lesson ideas for teachers? In this month's lesson spotlight, we’ve shared one special lesson from each book for you to explore this month. Check out the Resources section of your Teacher Dashboard for even more ideas!
Early Elementary (K-2)
February is American Heart Month and Activity #16 in this book is perfect for getting kids moving. Try having students teach each other how to play a favorite sport as you explore the importance of heart health and staying active this school year.
Find it here: Using Book Creator in the Elementary Classroom
Upper Elementary (3-5)
As part of your Black History Month celebrations, students can use Activity #13 this book to profile a scientist. Students can research a notable scientist and feature them alongside images, text, and voice recordings.
Find it here: 15 Science Projects for Book Creator Classrooms
Middle School (6-8)
Activity #3 in this book is perfect for Groundhog Day-themed stories. Have students create math problems with this theme as they create problems related to a groundhog seeing (or not seeing) its shadow.
Find it here: 13 Math Projects for Book Creator
High School (9-12)
Presidents Day is celebrated in February, and students can use the “Mock Interviews” activity to write an interview of a president, or presidential hopeful. Although this is a holiday in the United States, you might open it up to profiles of leaders from around the world.
Find it here: 15 Social Studies Projects for Book Creator Classrooms
We met Horry County Schools educator Chloe Rains Jones at FETC last month and she showed us this amazing yearbook concept book from a student, made for an AP European History assignment. It's a novel way of showcasing historical figures!
Find it here: My AP Euro Yearbook by Bailey Parsons
Be inspired by student work! You can find more examples at bookcreator.com/examples.
Book Creator Ambassador spotlight
Rosita Darden, Florida, USA
This month’s Book Creator Ambassador Spotlight is Rosita Darden. Rosita is an Innovation Coordinator and Middle School ELA Teacher. Her students have created lots of books this year! Rosita is active on social media and you can see some of her students’ work by following along on Twitter.
Here is a book one of her students made on climate change. We love how they used lots of pictures and cited sources.
Here is another collaborative creation where her seventh grade students shared motivational quotes. We love how they each created a page for a class book.
Rosita is an active Ambassador for Book Creator, keen to help out at events and always participating in forum discussions.
February Social Challenge
We'd love for you to win a special Book Creator mug!
Share a wintertime activity featuring Book Creator with the hashtag #BookCreatorChallenge so we can follow along and celebrate your wintertime creations!.
We'll choose one lucky winner at random. Good luck!
- Is there any way I can delete single pages from books without having to drag all the content from the following page? Pedro Santana
- Is there a way of using book creator if: a) your iPads are too old and b) some of your laptops don’t have a webcam to scan the QR code please?Emma Seal
- Any primary teachers use Book Creator with your little ones? Can I make a template and share it with my kids to guide them in the creation of their books? Meghan Catherine
- Hi. Is there any way to add exercises and quizzes in books in Book Creator? I want it to be interactive so the students can get a response immediately. Ann Mari Nettum
- Super jazzed to have met the Book Creator crew today at FETC in Miami! Eve Heaton
- Teaching direct speech with Memes in Book Creator
- Putting publishing into the hands of students
- 15 Social Studies projects – free ebook
- Book Creator in the French classroom
- #the262 – Book Creator marathon!
- Paper by FiftyThree and Book Creator
- How to get your students to plan the Book Creator lesson
- Lesson plan for a flipped classroom with Book Creator
- An open letter to our Ambassadors
- How the co-creator of Explain Everything uses Book Creator
- Book Creator helps transform the therapy experience of families affected by disability
- Using Book Creator to author mathematics
Dan Kemp is Tools for School’s Marketing & Community Manager. He spends his time spreading the word about Book Creator and supporting people who use it.