June 2020 Newsletter
Latest Book Creator news
For many schools around the world, the academic year is ending, and many of us haven't had a chance to wind up the year as we would have liked, thanks to the lockdown.
One way to try and give students closure is by creating a digital yearbook, and we've seen some great examples in recent weeks. We've been asked numerous times whether or not we have a template for this. We don't - so we decided to make one!
Journals and digital portfolios
Book Creator is a great tool for collating student work because you can use all types of media - text, images, audio, video. You can even embed documents or creations from other apps. What's more, you can have students reflect on their learning, which really enhances a portfolio.
Dr. Monica Burns talked about this and more in her recent webinar, which is well worth a look. She'll be following that up with a new ebook on this topic in the coming weeks.
Webinars in June
Speaking of webinars, we're still running daily webinars this month, trying to cover as many timezones as possible! Here are some choice ones. Click on the links to register and view all of our webinars at bookcreator.com/webinars
- Let’s Get Creative with Book Creator! 4th June, with Ben Sondgeroth.
- Apps favoritas para integrar en tus Proyectos y Portafolios Digitales 8th and 10th June, with Alberto Valdes and Maria Montemayor.
- The Book Creator You Never Knew 10th June, with Jon Smith.
Book Creator has picked up another award, winning the EdTech Cool Tool Award 2020 from EdTech Digest. Book Creator beat the competition to be the winner in the ‘Authoring Tools Solution’ category.
Our Big Activity Book is now available in French and Swedish! Thanks to the Book Creator community for translating.
Here is a short case study from Santiago, Chile on the power of publishing in the language classroom.
June Lesson spotlight
Have you seen our FREE ebooks full of lesson ideas for teachers? In this month's lesson spotlight, we’ve shared one special lesson from each book for you to explore this month. Check out the Resources section of your Teacher Dashboard for even more ideas!
Early Elementary (K-2)
Find it here: 13 Math Projects for Book Creator
Upper Elementary (3-5)
Find it here: Using Emojis in the Classroom
Middle School (6-8)
Find it here: The Big Book Creator Activity Book
High School (9-12)
Find it here: Ignite Creativity in your Chromebook Classroom
Book Creator Ambassador spotlight
This month’s Book Creator Ambassador Spotlight is Jane Ross. Jane is a Technology Coach in an International School in Jakarta and an Apple Distinguished Educator. She shares lots of innovative ideas on her Twitter feed and her blog, 1:1 in Practice.
Jane has published numerous blog posts on our site and shared the ways her students use Book Creator to chronicle their learning. Her work focuses on using Book Creator on iPad and she has lots of great stories to tell.
On her blog, Jane shared a strategy for using the online Book Creator version on iPad. In this blog post, Jane talks about some activities you can try out in your own classroom.
Have you tried out the online Book Creator app? Each student in our Makerspace is creating their online journal. I am also adding each homeroom teacher as co-teachers. Super easy to track student personal projects now from my MacBook. Simply awesome! @BookCreatorApp #makerspace pic.twitter.com/oIbz9mfBUQ— Jane Ross (@janeinjava) January 17, 2019
June Social Challenge
We'd love for you to win a special Book Creator mug!
Share a lesson idea or activity you’ve used with students working from home with the hashtag #BookCreatorChallenge and make sure to tag us so we can follow along and celebrate your creations!
We'll choose one lucky winner at random. Good luck!
Congratulations to last month's winner, Charles Youngs.
- Quick @BookCreatorApp tip. Start with a comic template. Provides a greater variety of design options @PaulHamilton8
- We have a lot of big feelings during this historic time. To document our experiences we made a class book @MrsDelman
- End of the year Book Creator math project this week! So great to see how far they have progressed! Virtual learning can’t stop these math warriors! @RachelFieman
- Did you know you can embed Google Poly into Book Creator books? A great way of bringing the world of 3D into your students' writing. @BookCreatorApp
- Consider my socks BLOWN OFF! 💨 Last week, my Gr. 5 Ss designed their OWN sustainable structures 🏡🏭🏫 Talking geographically appropriate renewable energy sources 2 power them! @BookCreatorApp never fails w/ getting #studentvoice 🎙 @mmealexadej
- #BringCreativity newsletter September 2020
- #BringCreativity newsletter August 2020
- #BringCreativity newsletter May 2020
- Putting publishing into the hands of students
- Innovative Blended Learning ideas
- Teaching direct speech with Memes in Book Creator
- #the262 – Book Creator marathon!
- 15 Social Studies projects – free ebook
- Book Creator in the French classroom
- Lesson plan for a flipped classroom with Book Creator
- Paper by FiftyThree and Book Creator
- Using Book Creator to author mathematics
Dan Kemp is Tools for School’s Marketing & Community Manager. He spends his time spreading the word about Book Creator and supporting people who use it.